Monday, January 12, 2009

Did anyone say dessert?

A great friend and her husband swore that this dessert is quite good for vegetarians, Daniel fast participants, and any person with a sweet tooth. I made it tonight and it came out pretty good for a first time attempt. Here is the original recipe.


Kheir (Rice Pudding)

    Cardamom
    Cinnamon stick
    Black peppercorns (just a few)
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup cashews
    2 cups boiling water
    1 cup white basmati rice
    2 1/8 cups soy milk

Add spices, raisins, and cashews to 2 cups of boiling water, then add the rice. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Then add 2 cups soy milk and a sweetener such as rice syrup if desired. Some like their kheir without any sweetener. As the mixture cooks, the rice will fall apart. Make sure the mixture is creamy without being too thick. Add 1/8 cup soy milk to think out.


As I was making this rice pudding, I added more soy milk as I like it more creamier and approx. 1/3 cup of raisins, instead of 1/4 cup. Totally yum! For the next batch, I'm thinking about adding nutmeg.


Happy dessert making!

From the 7-Day Detox Miracle book

3 comments:

  1. Karyn told me about this blogspot. She told me the greatest factoid this evening: "When you have unsweetened cereal and unsweetened soy milk, it is VERY unsweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl -- That sounds delicious! Is white basmati rice DF-approved? If not, I suppose this could work with brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shredded wheat cereal and soy milk isn't too bad (at least, that's for me). If you need something to *sweeten* it a bit, then you may want to try one of these items or in combination, e.g., raisins, ginger, orange zest, or lemon zest.

    It gives "new life" to an unsweetened breakfast. As for the rice, I don't know if it is DF-approved. Live and learn, if so! I'll try it with brown rice or jasmin rice next time. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete